Subject: IC2410H VHF TX
Original from N6YUJ to MODS@ALLUS
20 July, 93
Here's a mod to be added to your list. I've accomplished the
wideband RX mods (cutting D8,D9, and D10). Here's how to open up the
1. Remove the 12 black screws that hold the top and bottom covers.
2. Remove the covers and carefully unplug the speaker from the circuit
3. Remove the 4 screws that hold the head/faceplate to the chassis.
4. With the radio right side up, carefully separate the face from the
chassis about 3/8 of an inch. Be careful of the ribbon cables!
5. Tip the face down so that you may view the backside of the head
6. Locate the three diodes along the bottom center that you cut for
wideband receive. (D8, D9, D10) Look towards the top and slightly
to the left of these diodes. You should see two, rectangular
foil runs that don't have any solder on them. They should be gold
colored. This is called a "land point".
7. BEING VERY CAREFUL OF THE SURFACE-MOUNT DEVICES THAT ARE VERY CLOSE
TO THE "LAND POINT" AND USING A SOLDERING IRON WITH A SMALL TIP,
PLACE A SMALL DROP OF SOLDER ACROSS THE LAND POINT. (and I mean a
small drop. just enough to connect the two foil tabs) Make sure you
are very careful not to accidently touch a surface-mount device
with your iron. They lift off very easily and can be a real bear to
put back into place. The smaller the iron tip, the better!
8. Reassemble the radio in the reverse order that you disassembled it.
Remember to reconnect the speaker!
When you reapply power you should be able to transmit 136-174 MHz. This
comes in handy if you are a MARS operator.REMEMBER:Transmitting outside
of the HAM bands is ILLEGAL unless it is an EMERGENCY! i.e.a matter of
life and death.
Any questions can be directed to N6YUJ @ KA6FUB.#NOCAL.CA.USA.NA
PER USUAL, ALL MODS ARE COMPLETED AT THE RISK OF THE MODIFIER. N6YUJ
WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSS DUE TO THE MODIFICATION
OF THE ABOVE NAMED RADIO. There, now that I have the caveat out of the
way, I can tell you that I've personally accomplished this mod and it
works just great. This mod is similar to the IC229H out of band mod.
the mods-i-k file section.